Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Spring and Pollen

Almost three hours ago, the sun passed over the equator heading North...thus the Spring or Vernal equinox, when day and night is almost of equal length. Of course we would not have seasons if it wasn't for the axial tilt of the Earth (23.4 degrees). Well, there would be some annual differences I suppose as the Earth cycled through it's elliptical orbit about the Sun. Easter falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon that falls on or after the Vernal Equinox.
About a week ago, I began having the unmistakable symptoms (sneezing, "itchy eyes") that were indicative of Spring. I have tried to identify the plant culprit, but I can only guess that it is the Red Alder (Alnus rubra) which is wind pollinated and begins blooming at that time. The streets are strewn with the male catkins just now and I'm sure that this must the plant whose pollen irritates me so much.
Lots of rain yesterday with high winds, but today it was partly sunny with gusty winds.

No comments: